By Nancy S Buck, PhD, RN
The bear went over the mountain and what do you think she saw? She saw another mountain and what do you think she did? The bear went over the mountain. . .
Ever since December 14, 2012 I have been the bear going over the mountain to change how Mental Health & Happiness is understood and dealt with in this country and beyond. My ambition is to change the way we see, understand and deal with Mental Health & Happiness in ourselves and in others.
With the help of some dedicated and inspired colleagues and friends, we have been able to climb a mountain only to discover more mountains. We are not weary of the journey, nor are we slowing down even a little bit. There is much work we have done and there is even more work to do.
I want to remember, however, to stop along the way and take in the vista at the top of this mountain.
One year after launching this Mental Health & Happiness site this is what we have accomplished:
* A new blog is posted every other day, covering a wide range of topics on Mental Health & Happiness
* Since January 2014, people are signing up for Mental Health & Happiness challenges with a new challenge delivered every day (for twenty one days, then there is a seven day rest period followed by new challenges delivered).
* October 10, 2014, on World Mental Health Day we participated by offering a free virtual Mental Health & Happiness Summit that included twenty-four interviews with twenty-four experts around the globe. Over 1200 people participated.
* All of these interviews are available free online. Audio downloads of the interview are available for purchase.
We have people reading our blogs and participating in the challenges from all over the world. Our numbers continue to grow as friends and family share this helpful site with one another. There are others who simply stumble upon Mental Health & Happiness and like what they read. We also have folks who work in prisons sharing the blogs and challenges with prisoners, teachers sharing with their students from elementary level through college, and therapists and counselors sharing with clients. And these are the ones we know about.
As we start our next year dedicating our time, energy, work and passion into Mental Health & Happiness, this is what we hope to accomplish in the next year:
* Posting new blogs every other day will continue.
* New challenges will be delivered to those who are interested until we reach 365 total challenges written.
* Challenges will continue to be delivered to those who sign up.
* We will offer the 365 challenges for sale as book, an ebook to begin, for those who are interested in purchasing for themselves or as a gift.
* We will launch a monthly YouTube show including interviews with featured guests as well as panel discussions on Mental Health & Happiness to begin early in 2015.
*October 10, 2015 will be our second annual Mental Health & Happiness Summit
Want to be part of the team that is making Mental Health & Happiness a public health issue? Here are some things you can do:
* Tell everyone you know, love, and work with to go to www.mentalhealthandhappiness.com and sign up. Feel free to tell people that you don’t know, don’t love or don’t work with too.
* Contribute a blog. Need help? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Contribute a challenge. Need help? contact Kim Olver at email@example.com
* Give us names of people you would like to hear from on our YouTube show.
* Make a financial contribution, if you can.
* Keep reading the blogs, doing the challenges and sending us your feedback. We love hearing from you and knowing that what we are doing is facilitating a positive difference for you.
* Tell us how you want to help and what you want to do. We don’t want to restrict possibilities. If we are going to change how Mental Health & Happiness is understood on the planet we need everyone’s ideas and help.
Thank you for all for what you have done in making Mental Health & Happiness the success it is. Let’s not stop! There are plenty more mountains we need to climb. We believe It’s more fun and inspiring to do it together.